Dog bites, auto accidents, slip & fall accidents, product defects, nursing home abuse, medical malpractice – These are all examples of accidents covered under personal injury law. If you have suffered injuries because of someone’s negligence, disregard for safety, or carelessness, you may have the scope to pursue a personal injury lawsuit. This is when the at-fault party owes you a duty of care. Following an accident, it is wise to contact an attorney, to discuss the scope of your case. If you are meeting with a Stockton injury attorney, here are some questions that you need to ask.
- How often do you deal with comparable cases? Like we mentioned, personal injury law has a broad scope, and therefore, you need a lawyer, who has worked on similar cases. For instance, if you were injured in a car accident, you need to know if the lawyer deals with auto accident claims on a regular basis.
- How long have you practicing as an injury attorney in Stockton? Experience is key to winning personal injury lawsuits, and you can always ask a lawyer about their work profile. As needed, you can even ask for references.
- How will you charge me? In almost all states, lawyers take personal injury cases on a contingency fee. The lawyer only gets paid after winning a financial settlement. The contingency fee can vary between 20% and 40%, depending on the experience of the lawyer and work involved.
- What is your evaluation of my cases? Based on the preliminary evidence in hand and other details, a good personal injury lawyer should be able to offer an assessment. They may need to investigate the case further, but can share an overview of what to expect in settlement.
- Will you work on the case directly? Many law firms have dozens of personal injury attorneys working on cases. It is imperative to know the lawyer who will handle your lawsuit, and if they have the relevant expertise for that. Ask the lawyer about their current case load, and if they are planning to assign the case to an associate.
There can be other expenses related to personal injury lawsuits. Lawyers can sometimes advance these costs for the client, while in other cases, the latter is expected to pay. Ensure that you have a clear conversation with the attorney about the financials. Also, don’t forget to check the reviews of attorneys in Stockton to compare your options better.