A fashion stylist is a person who collaborates with brands and dresses people by putting together clothes and accessories for photoshoots or everyday clothing. A fashion stylist is also referred to as a wardrobe stylist, celebrity stylist, or fashion editor.
Qualities of a good stylist:
- Excellent communication skills; a good fashion stylist should learn how to communicate with her clients to express their vision and also understand what the client wants.
- Organized; stylists usually handle more than one client at a time; therefore, one should be arranged to take all clients’ details and specifications well.
- Has a sense of style; the stylist should be fashionable to attract clients and to present creativity and style
- Has an understanding of the business
- Open-mindedness; Given there are new trends every other day, one should be open to trying them and embracing them, and always trying different things with different clients
- Entrepreneurial mindset; a great business mindset goes a long way to keep things professional and grow over time.
Advantages of being a fashion stylist:
- Have fun; to work in fashion styling, you should be passionate about fashion and clothes. This in itself should be enough to have fun while at it. On the other hand, you get to go shopping with your clients and socialize as your friends. Hi
- Work with great brands; as a person in fashion, you would like to work with well-known brands but may not get an opportunity. Being a fashion stylist exposes you to many quality brands like port authority clothing. Such brands offer high-quality apparel and accessories that your clients will love.
- Excellent and consistent income; most people who hire a fashion stylist are doing well financially, thus a good pay. If you do a great job, that means they will keep you around and also refer you to other clients. In this case, your portfolio will keep growing, and so will your income.
- You get to travel a lot; for those who love traveling, this career promises lots of travel with clients or attending fashion shows in different cities in the world
- Free publicity; when you are a good fashion stylist, it pays mostly through fame and fashion shows. This happens especially if you are a celebrity stylist. But all that is needed for this is hard work.
- Provides other opportunities; most fashion stylists have branched into other entrepreneurial opportunities due to a career in fashion styling. These opportunities include being a fashion designer, starting a clothes brand, being an influencer, and styling masterclass, among others.
- Lack of monotony; there are always new trends in the market; thus, this career never gets monotonous.
- Knowledgeable; fashion stylists are always aware of new trends, and they also know how to pair outfits. When most people show up at events underdressed or overdressed, fashion stylists wear the right clothes for a given event
Being a successful fashion stylist will take lots of work and creativity. Most fashion stylists do well because of referrals, and they should be willing to work from the bottom up with patience.